Unprotected sex and hives and sore throat

Over a year ago I had unprotected sex with a girl who I later found out is very promiscuous. About two weeks after the encounter I woke up covered in hives with an extremely painful sore throat and headache, all of which lasted about 2-3 days and went away on its own. I have had two negative HIV tests and negative Hepatitis tests. I've started dating someone and I've recently started to worry that I may still be infected and contagious. Is there another infection that I could have picked up that I haven't been tested for or should I just let this go? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Consult Reply by Dr.Deepu Sebin (HIV - AIDS and STD Specialist)

I would like to know some additional information from you.

1. Do you have any significant symptoms now ?
2. When was the HIV tests done (the timing of test in relation to the sexual activity)

You can reply as a followup.

Thank you for the quick reply. The only symptom I can think of that I have now is that I've been feeling more tired than usual lately. Other than that I've felt perfectly healthy. Both HIV tests and the Hepatitis tests were done close to 1 year after the encounter and I haven't had any sexual activity since then.

In that case you can be sure that you are not harbouring any STD or as a matter of fact any infectious disease. You have done 2 HIV tests in adequate intervals. You do not have any skin / dermatological / gential symptoms or signs. So there is no reason to suspect an STD.

The fatigue can be unrelated. Try adjusting your work and sleep cycles. Some moderate aerobic exercise can help. If this is persisting you can go for a basic blood+Thyroid tests. This will rule out any coexisting condition.

It's a relief to hear that. So do you think that the symptoms I described are unrelated or do you have any idea what they would most likely be from? I've never had any kind of outbreak like that before. Thanks again!

I assume you are asking about the symptom/outbreak within few weeks following the sexual encounter. This should be cause by a viral infection. Since it resolved without any trouble there is no reason to worry.