Viral Conjunctivitis.

Im presently experiencing sore throat, coughing and a lot of goop coming out of my right eye that discolored and look very pink ish. Please help me

Category: Ophthalmologist

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 4 Days.

Hello and thankyou for approaching DoctorSpring with your query.
I have gone through your case and understand your concern.
The discharge coming from your eye, sorethroat and cough are most likely to be related. Most likely to be due to viral conjuctivitis.

I would advise you to do the following.
1) Put the OTC Ciprofloxacin eye drops, 2 drops 3 times a day in the right eye to prevent bacterial superinfection
2) Do not rub your eyes or touch your eys, wipe the secretions with a tissue and dispose it immediately
3) Wash your hands frequently to avoid spreading your infection to others, .
4) Take the OTC tablet Allegra once a day at nigh for 3 days
5) Do warm salt water gargles 3 times a day.
6) Do not use contact lenses or eye makeup till your infection subsides.

I hope this has helped. Feel free to follow up.
Thankyou

Thanks for reply. Do I need a prescription from you to pickup these medication. Please advise and if so can this be forwarded to the local pharmacy store Wall green for pickup, Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 3 Days.

The drugs Allegra 180 mg and Ciprofloxacin 0.3% eyedrops are available over the counter and will not need a prescription. You can pick them up from your local pharmacy.

I hope this has helped.
Get well soon.
Thankyou

I'm already taking allegra and also using refresh-divine and Otrivin eye drops. I would definitely need anti-biotic medicine and not over the counter which as not worked at all. Can you prescribe so I can pickup from local pharmacy?

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 2 Days.

It is not recommended to user Otrivin eye drops in your case. Was it prescribed by a Doctor ? This itself can cause eye symptoms. As I said the Ciplox (antibiotic) eye drops are to prevent bacterial superinfection (that means a secondary infection). The current symptoms per se is from a viral infection. And possibly from user of OTC eye drops.

Let me know why you started using the Otrivin drops and whether you had any improvement?. (or did it worsen)? Because the symptoms could be from the eye drops. My recommendation would be stop all eye drops and continue Allegra. The viral infection will resolve on itswon. Only if there are signs of bacterial superinfection Ciplox drops are required.

You can reply as a followup

Dr. Manish Malhotra
Fellowship: L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
Fellow Pediatric Ophthalmology & Squint (L.V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad)
Medical School, Residency: MBBS, DOMS, FLVPEI, Nagpur university, 1995