What are the causes of Asthma?

Dear Doctor. This is regarding my six-year-old daughter. She started going to her school two years back. From the last 20 days, she is very much unpunctual towards the attendance in her school. She complains that she is short of breath and she always try to breathe with her mouth when she complains about this breathing difficulty. She was absolutely normal before and she has taken all her vaccinations. There are no notable difficulties when she got vaccinated. I 35-year-old and my husband is 37 years. She is an only child. We have taken her to a physician near our house. The physician asked some questions and took other details, examined her and said that there is nothing wrong with her. I myself, have observed her facing the difficulty of breathing and she holds her chest, opens her mouth for a quick and fast breathing along with some hissing sound. I was a little worried, seeing this, but now got adjusted after seeing her like this for so many times. I have googled with these symptoms and landed on the diagnosis of asthma. Is my child suffering from asthma?

Hi. Thanks for writing to us.

I'm so sorry about the present condition of your child and I wish her a quick recovery. I shall try to explain the possibilities, in this case, to the best of my knowledge.

Asthma is reversible airflow obstruction that is due to chronic inflammatory process. It is usually triggered by one or the other factors. Asthma usually affects two age groups. One that affects in the early childhood and the one that affects in the adolescence.

Asthma has a strong genetic and environmental component as its cause. It can be diagnosed with the help of symptoms, simple tests like spirometry and with physical examination. Your daughter, according to your description, might be suffering from attacks of asthma. I would recommend you to consult a physician to diagnose the condition and for further management.