What are the tests for Herpes?

Hi doctor Some days before someone told me that herpes symptoms are seen in me as I am really confused. Iwant to know about the tests which can help me out to know whether I am having herpes or not. Few weeks ago I with my partner went into a sexual relationship and she told that she has this infection? Please tell me the ways from which I can get to know about this disease? Is there any chance of venereal disease which has affected me behind this infection?

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question and concern so as you mentioned that someone told you that you might have herpes sl let me clear your points related to herpes as question regarding herpes comes a lot so few things are there to which you need to understand before I tell you about the tests.

First and foremost herpes is an infection that is sexually transmitted which is acquired through sexual intercourse or through sexual activity. There are not as such pattern or time when lesions appeared may be it shows the symptoms after some days of the sexual intercourse or their may be a chances that it can occur after a time of many years.

Now if we talk about the tests there are meny tests as one of them is blood test. You can go for a blood test which can help you to know about this herpes virus that whether you have or not but they are not as acurate as you want it to. However, if you will have any venereal disease then it will come in your blood test.

According to me I woulid suggest you to see a qualified doctor in person if you are confirm that the you still have a problem.Take care

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital