What causes burning/tingling sensation in my URETHRA?

For 10 days now I have had slight burning/tingling inside my urethra towards the base of my penis-head, not the base of my shaft. The sensation comes and goes. The "pain" is never above a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being worst thing ever). It does not hurt more or less when I urinate. In fact it doesn't realy burn at all when I urinate. There are NO physical signs (i.e. swolleness, tenderness, redness, puss, lesions, leakage etc). My urine is not cloudy or discolored in anyway. However, after 10 days this sensation comes and goes. It burns/tingles/tickles/itches when it comes. The sensation can last for a few seconds to 30 minutes. I am in a happy monogamous marriage and have only had sex with my wife and I assure you the same for her. She is now ovulating and we are trying to have kids. However, I am concerned for her health as this thing is still lingering. Any suggestions?

Category: Urologist

Expert:  Dr. Rajiv Goel replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com.
Dear sir, It is very difficult to point out the cause of your troubles. You should get yourself investigated with Urine analysis test and an Ultrasound KUB(Kidneys, Ureters, Bladder) scan. In the meantime you can take tablet Fluconazole 200 mg, once a day for 5 days and it should cure you of your symptoms, which seem most likely to be due to a fungal infection. This disease process is not going to affect your wife and you can keep on trying for conception.
Feel free to ask queries.
Sincerely,
Rajiv Goel,
Consultant Urologist.

Is Fluconazole 200 mg something I can buy over the counter at Walgreens or a local pharmacy? Also, considering the length of my symtpoms and the absences severe pain and puss, can I rule out bacterial infection and any STD? Finally, what would cause a fungal infection? Public restroom, soap caught inside my penis, goldbond etc? Should I look for any other sypmtoms?
Many thanks!
Nick

Expert:  Dr. Rajiv Goel replied 3 Days.

Dear Sir,
Diflucan (Fluconazole) 150 mg tablets are prescription medications. You will need to get in touch with your doctor for the same.
Your history suggests that you don't have any bacterial infection or any other typical STD. You probably got the fungal infection from somebody harboring the infection.
Sincerely, Dr Rajiv Goel,
Consultant Urologist.

Dr. Rajiv Goel
MCh(urology) Medical Council of India
Fellow, Laparoscopic urology, Germany
Fellow, Urooncology and Robotic urology, Australia
DNB - NBE
Felloship - MCH, Urology/Genito-Urinary Surgery, AIIMS, 2004
Residency - MS, Master of Surgery, AIIMS, 2001
Medical School - MBBS, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, AIIMS, 1998