Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

What causes this rash, swollen and itchy sides of vagina?

Resolved Question:

Hi I am 20 years old, and 3 days ago my vagina was really ichy and I scrached it, after that I got a really bad rash I felt like both sides of the vagina entrance were swollen and now I am unable two sit, walk and it gives be so much pain when I urinate. Please help me

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 21 Doctors Online

Hi. Thanks for choosing

I do understand your concern.

Vaginal itching can be due to a lot of causes such as bacterial infection or vaginosis, candida infection or thrush, vaginal yeast infection ( e.t.c ) , STIs. Are you sexually active? When was your last period?

Prolonged itching can lead to swelling, and this points more towards an allergic reaction to some irritant. It can be any new scented soap that you have been using, or even the infections. Sometimes even uncorrected UTIs present with vaginal itching. So i would suggest you to avoid any such irritants, keep the area as dry as possible, maintain the hygiene. You can take a course of Tab. Claritin for 2-3 days, if it is due to allergy it will subside. In case it doesn't get better in a couple of days time, then it is better to get checked by a Gynaecologist, and she will run a few tests to find out whether it is fungal or bacterial. You can also get an urine routine done, just to make sure there is no uncorrected UTI. 

Do post additional queries.


Patient replied :

I am sexually active but I have been with 1 partner for a year now and this is the first time it has happened. My upper vagina is completely fine but towards the entrace it hurts a lot. This is the second day I have been in bed all day. I was thinking it could have something to do with bartholin gland.

Thanks for posting your query.

I posted the more common causes of vaginal itching. Yes even bartholin gland infection, most commonly a cyst can lead to swelling at the entrance of the vagina. But the incidence is quite low, affecting around 2-3 women out of 100. It seems like you got a pretty bad infection and it would need some medical treatment. Sitz bath can be comforting for small swellings, however in consultation with your GP, you can take a course of Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 5-7 days, as this is a strong antibiotic and helps in clearing out the infection faster.

I have mentioned the treatment modalities. However without examining, its very difficult to come to a diagnosis. So if you have time please consult your gynaecologist. Otherwise you can start taking doxy, and hopefully it will resolve.


Patient replied :

Thank you so much. I am trying to see a doctor by tomorrow. 1 more question, is there anyway to urinate without pain.


You can take an OTC Phenazopyridine 200 mg (Uricalm/ AZO Standard® Maximum Strength/ Phenazo/ Azo-Gesic™ ), three times daily for 2 days for relief of pain while urinating.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Take care.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news