whether erectile dysfunction is considered as a normal part of aging?

I am a 64 year old male. I am healthy and have no medical disorders except for Diabetes, which is under control with regular medication. I have no issues till now in regard to my sexual relation, but as I am approaching 70's I just want to know, whether erectile dysfunction is considered as a normal part of aging?

Hello. Thanks for writing your query to us.

Erectile dysfunctionhas nothing to do with the age andis not considered as a normal part of ageing. The two main factors related to sexual dysfunctionare:

1)Physiological

2)Psychological

In a study conducted by National Health and Social Life Survey (NHSLS), erectile dysfunction is seen in 14% of men who are poor, 14% who are divorced,13% who are illiterate. Health conditions like Diabetes, Heart disease account for 26% of the cases . Psychological dysfunction accounts for the rest of cases and thus a mental stress or a nervous breakdown also has a great impact on sexual function of a man.