Chances of affecting with genital herpes through oral sex

Hi doctor, This is to clear some of my doubts about genital herpes. A week ago, I had sex with a guy, who was my school mate when I was in high school. His ex-girlfriend told me that he has got genital herpes. So, while having sex, I haven't allowed him to have penetrative sex. So, he did oral sex which lasted for about 5-6 minutes. I made to stop him once in 5 minutes and washed there, and repeated this for about 5 times. I did so, to reduce risk of getting affected with herpes through oral sex. Will it help me so? Is there a chance that I can get affected with herpes this way? However, I haven’t seen any sores or something unusual in his genitals. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your care and concern. As you may know, genital herpes can be spread through genital penetrative sex, oral sex or anal sex from an affected person to the un-affected. Presence of visual evidence is not necessary for genital herpes to be seen. Only clinical diagnosis of presence of antibody in blood can reveal whether a person is infected or not. So, it is important to get some medical tests done to ensure that you are free from infection. You may consult your doctor to get tests like viral culture, direct fluorescence antibody, type specific serum tests and poly merase chain reaction tests done. These tests can be used to get it confirmed about the presence of virus and infection. Anyway, if his herpes is due to type2 HSV, you are unlikely to get affected through the method you have mentioned in the question, while having sex. Hope my answer helps. Best wishes.