Heache and facial numbness

About a month ago, I woke up with vertigo. I did the Epleymaneuver two times (over a period of 4 days) and the room spinning sensation stopped. What I am suffering with is the fact that I have a general feeling of spaciness, dizziness, blurry vision in one eye, and the worst of it is facial numbness. I have seen my primary care doctor and and an ENT - no signs of stroke and my primary doctor is not worried about it being anything serious. I am being scheduled for an MRI, and am really starting to freak out. The weirdest thing about all of this is that my symptoms go away completely when laying down or reclining in a chair. I have no problems sleeping. I am baffled, as are my doctors. The quality of my life is greatly diminished since I cannot concentrate on much, I am always numb in the face (on both sides) and am generally dizzy with blurry vision. Also, when I exercise, I seem to feel worse. Any advice? I am a healthy, usually very energetic mom of 3, age 39.

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thank you for asking the query.

There are few points which point towards an inner ear problem. Those are the absence of symptoms when lying down, dizzines, and response to Epleys. But certain symptoms like the facial numbness and blurring of vision does not co related well with an ENT problem.

Its possible that there are co symptoms with an ENT problem, but its better to be sure. And you Doctor has done the right thing by suggesting an MRI. May be your require a detailed examination by a Neurologist.

I understand this could be quite worrying for you. But its always prudent to rule any neurological cause by MRI and Physical examination. I am sure that this is nothing very serious than an inner ear involvement. But as I said better be sure than keep worrying for a long duration.

So specific advice : Get the MRI done, Consult a Neurologist.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center