Transmission of genital herpes.

Hi doctor, I am a girl of 16 years. It happened so with my girlfriend that she was advised to go to a STD clinic to rule out a possibility of genital herpes. So she went there and the nurse told that she might have it, examining her physically. But she insisted on going for a confirmatory test. My girlfriend promised me that she hasn’t slept with anyone else. I know that I haven’t slept with anyone and that’s for sure. She has got cold sores and I don’t have any. Can it be spread from one person to another by just kissing? Is there a chance that I also can get it by kissing her? Is there any other cause of getting affected with herpes, in our specific case? She has got scabs and blisters also which were later treated by taking a course of antibiotics. Please help me in this.

Expert:  Dr. Andrew Lewis replied 4 Days.

Genital herpes is caused by Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2. But cold sores are cause by Herpes simplex virus type 1. Anyway, kisses and saliva exchange between affected and non-affected persons can cause spreading of infection. It can finally lead to infection in the genital area also. Antiviral treatment as prescribed by your doctor should be done and only after the healing of all scabs and ulcers, you should have skin to skin contact with affected people, to prevent spreading of infection. Hope my answer helps. Take care.

Dr. Andrew Lewis