Nummular Dermatitis

For the past 5-6 months I have had some kind of itchy red patch on the back of my lower leg. Originally I thought it was a mosquito bite, but it never healed and just kept itching. Cortizone cream was effective initially, but now does nothing. It doesn't itch all the time, but flares up about once a day.

Just in the last couple days, I've noticed a smaller itchy red spot on the front of the same lower leg. I thought it was from a scab, but I'm worried that it's related to the original one. Also, is there any possible treatment for the original one, or is it indicative of a larger problem?

Thank you...

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. First of all, my apologies for the exceptional delay with the reply.

You seem to be having nummular dermatitis. It's an eczema. You need to treat it with application of higher strength steroid cream like mometasone which requires a prescription.

The cortisone cream that you are applying is a mild cream and hence may not be effective in treating it well.

It's a treatable condition and needs proper treatment.

Hope this helps, Please feel free to ask any follow-up queries.