Advice on body donation with brainstem cancer

advice on possible body donation with advanced cancer of the brain stem ?

Thank you for asking the query at DoctorSpring.

It's a great and commendable thing that you are considering body doation.
May I know what type of body donation you have in mind ? As in organ donation or donating the deceased body to a medical school ?

I will also need the current medical status and condition of the patient, age, sex. You can reply as a followup

hi im the person willing to donate my body to a medical school as I have a type 4 melignent brain stem tumour that's too advanced for treatment im 25 years old and male im hopeing to be used for the teaching of anatomy to students as I feel thst it be intresting for the students to see my illness and how its effected my body I hope I can be of use thanks mike

I am sorry to hear about the illness. And I really appreciate your approach, but I think as the first step you would need to discuss this with your Doctor. Let me list down my recommendations here :

1. Talk and discuss with your Doctor and your dear ones regarding this. If your Doctor thinks this could be considered you can proceed.

2. Your written consent will be required at some stage

3. You should not be obese, having multiple metastasis or having any major anatomical problems (The requirement will vary in each medical schools )

4. Contact your nearest Medical School. This whole process should be done by someone else (like your parents) with your consent. Most schools won't entertain self requests.

5. They will give you a form to fill up. Fill up and return to them.

This is the basic process outline. (Usually simple). Make sure you are getting in touch with a Med School in your state and which is near to you.

hi thank you for the advice may I ask if I am accepted as a whole body donor will this meane that medical students will use my body for there anatomy study ? if so will I be as usefull to them as an older cadaver as im guessing most cadavers students use are older then I be and when my body is used is there anything thay need to do with me first before im used by students many thanks mike

Yes medical students will use for Anatomy studies in that case. But again you should give the consent and let the other formalities to your others. Age is not at all a factor (unless you are less than 18years). So no issues there.

Please feel free to ask followups / clarifications.

hi yes im more then happy for body to be used for anatomy education but do thay need to prepar me in anyway and will all of my clothing and personal effects be removed prior going to the anatomy lab as this where I end up yes do students need to study my full body please can you advice many thanks mike

Expert:  Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian replied 1 Day.

I am not sure how to put it out, but since you have asked a direct question - Yes the personal belongings, clothes and ornaments of such a body will be removed. Then a sort of embalming will be done in formalin to preserve the body. This will be done by technicians at the Anatomy lab.

Hope I made it clear. Feel free to ask clarifications.