Bacteria vaginosis and its effects on miscarriage

Dear Doctor, I had Bacteria Vaginosis since a young age and by that time I wasn’t even sexually active. Though it stopped for some time but it returned again some two years back. My fiancé is annoyed on me as I miscarried three times. It smells so awfully bad that sometimes I have to go back home to change and now I can’t all this. It’s really tough for me. I have also seen few genital warts pictures; will it turn out to be like that? Please guide me what to do.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

I thank you for putting up your problem to me. I know how much it upsets you, but you must know the cause of it. Bacterial Vaginoisis is the result of overgrowth of organisms present in your vagina which disturbs the natural bacterial balance of the vagina, thus causing the BV.  Although it is curable but there are cases like yours in which the BV reappears every time.  And I am sure it has nothing to do with the genital warts pictures that you have seen.Now what should be understood is that, these bacterial are very adaptive, if you change the environment their growth is hampered. So what I can suggest apart from taking medical treatment is that you should try to change your lifestyle. Now this means that you should avoid douching, harsh soaps and antibacterial soaps or lotions even scents and deodorising agents should be avoided. Try to wear undergarment made from 100% cotton. You could if you feel comfortable skip your underwear in bed.  Bacterial have the propensity to thrive best in moisture. Also avoid hot water baths, spas and steam baths too.  Do try to maintain dryness in your genital area by wiping off using a soft cotton cloth. All these could help in preventing the growth of the BV. But simultaneously you also must take prescribed antibacterial and anti fungal gels and creams to help in better recovery and keep a check on any possibility of development of warts of any kind that resemble the genital warts pictures.  Wish you good luck for a health life.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center