Better medication for ADD besides RITALIN.

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was very young and I was prescribed Ritalin, but I did not find it to be effective so for the better portion of my life I have not used any prescription drugs to help my condition. As I've gotten older, 31 now, I still struggle with ADD symptoms and it's very noticeable at work and in my studies since I'm finishing my degree. I understand that more effective drugs are available now that help adults with ADD and I would like to know what I should do to try getting help with this issue. My employer nor my school knows about my condition since I've tried to just live with the condition normally but it's gotten to the point where I know I should seek help.

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

ADD is a difficult and distressing condition and should be aptly treated. Its unfortunate that ritalin did not suite you. However there are plenty of other options like adderall or atomoxetine or bupropion which can help in ADD. Of these adderall is the most effective and should be sincerely given a try. Normally these medicines start acting fast and the response would be evident within 5-10 days.
In case if you have any further queries, do let me know.

Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.