bipolar disorder on depakote + licab XL with decreased sleep and sexual problems

I am suffering from bipolar disorder since year 2000 ,at that time i got a maniac attack ,after that i did not get any episodes for next 3-4 years then in year 2006 i got depression ,and in year 2007 again depression ,then in year 2012 out of the blue moon i got maniac attack .since then i am on medication depakote + licab XL daily at night .I would like to know whether continuing the tablets for long will have any side effects ,and whether this is the best treatment ?

Also suggest some precautions or tests if any that i should undergo?

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Service from Doctor Spring.

I can understand your problem, and will try to help you the best possible.

Depakote is relatively a safe drug; and in fact it is usually preferred drug for long term treatment of mania/bipolar disorder. However, long term use of any drug could cause certain side effect. Every drug has its own side effects but it is totally not predictable if one will get these side effects or not. So, with Depakote, liver dysfunction and pancreatic problem is reported to occur in some people, and it commonly occurs in the first 6 months of taking the medication, so as a precaution what I would suggest you do is Blood tests to monitor blood counts, as well as liver and pancreas function are an important part of treatment with valproate, in order to make sure that you are safe. You could monitor your liver functions periodically with liver function tests every month or so in the first 6 months of starting the therapy, there after every 3 months. If they are within normal range, then you need not worry at all. If there is any abnormality, then consult with your Doctor and take his advice on switching over to a different and safer medication. With licab XL, there are not any long term serious side effects expected. During the initial phase of treatment there could be side effects diarrhoea, tremor and muscle weakness. But these are only temporary side effects. So you need not worry. As you doctor has prescribed you these medications after thoroughly assessing your problem, I believe these are the best combination of medication that he has prescribed for you. I would recommend you to follow his instruction, and report to him if at all you feel any discomfort while you are on this medication.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.