Blood in stools with DIVERTICULI, HIATUS HERNIA, GALLSTONES.

.Hello my name is Teresa, Im 63 years old patientold and healthy so far. This morning I found red color water in the toillet after I moved my bowels,which appeared to be blood. I have been noticing a lesser amount of redness  since a couple of days ago. I didnt pay too much attention because I thought it was due to the fact that I started to drink vegetable juices including beets every day. Yesterday I drank more amount of it and this morning I found the total amount of water in the toilett red. The heces were normal in color and consistency. I had also urinated earlier this morning and the urine was clear. Last month I had done an endoscopy and colonoscopy and the results were diverticuli, hiatal hernia and gallstones. I also had ultrasounds of bladder, ginecological including an intravaginal and an abdominal (oancreas, liver gallbladder), everything came out fine. The reason for these tests was for a general control. I should mention also that after cleaning myself this morning the toilet paper also had a soft blood stain. My Gastroenterologist will be seeing me in one month, should i wait until then or should I go immediately to the ER....i dont have any other symptoms and i thought to stop the beet juice for a couple of days and see if it clears out. Thank you, i am quite concerned,.......

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
You have given a good description of your symptoms.
From the information you have given, it looks like you are having bleeding due to diverticulosis of the colon. Beet may not be the cause as the toilet paper was also blood stained.
Your colonoscopy done less than a month ago has ruled out other causes like malignancy, hemorrhoids, fissure and IBD.
I presume your hemoglobin is within normal range.
However if the bleeding is persistent, a visit to ER is prudent.
If there is no more bleeding you can consult your gastroenterologist as per schedule.
I hope that answers your query.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K

Thank you very much Dr. I have one final question since I have two Doctors's discrepancy on this subject..and Im not sure if this info is pertinent to my actual case. There is a discrepancy on opinions about the count of my leukocytes....on 10/13/14....6820....On 10/28/14 .... 3790 y en 7/14/15.... 3910. On one hand there is some concern, on the other there is not. The hemoglobyn is 13.1....should the leukocytes count has anything to do with this bleeding?. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

Please upload reports mentioning leucocyte count so that I can comment on it.

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 2 Days.

Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.
No, leukocyte count is not related to your bleeding episodes.
Your hemoglobin is normal which indicates the bleeding is only mild.
I hope that answers your query.
Dr.R.K.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University