BRAIN ANEURYSM that bled and clotted by itself. Serious?

My dad has a 5mm brain aneurysm that bled a few months ago and clotted itself but was only found a few weeks ago. We are waiting to hear from the neurosurgeons about the operation. I was feeling okay before because I thought it was unruptured but since hearing it bled then clotted itself a few months ago, I am now really scared. What can you tell me about this? I've read about clipping and coiling etc. I know ruptured ones have less positive outcomes than unruptured ones but what about the case of my dad's where it did bleed a little bit but then clotted?
He also has a blocked carotid artery which will eventually need to be cleared. I'm just so scared he's not going to make it. Please help.

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com

I have noted your father's medical details.

I would like to reassure that his outcome would be good. An aneurysm even if it has bled, has a risk of
rebleeding in future too. Therefore, it should be treated either by clipping or coiling. Clipping is the surgical technique and it depends on whether surgery can be easily done (accessibility of the region in the brain).

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Thanks so much for you reply. So the fact that it's bled and clotted by itself, does that make it a more dangerous thing to operate on than an unruptured one? It's just that I've read of ruptured ones and I've read of unruptured ones but I've never read about one that bled and clotted itself before it was found months later.

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 3 Days.

No, there is no additional risk of operation on an aneurysm that has ruptured/bled/clotted, as compared to unruptured ones.
In fact, most patients are diagnosed after aneurysm ruptures and bleeds. Unruptured aneurysms are less common in clinical practice.
Best wishes,
Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995