Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Burning sensation and need to urinate frequently during periods.

Resolved Question:

Hi, i am experiencing the need to urinate quite frequently, and when i do it burns even if there is hardly anything there. It has only just started tonight, and i am also on my period which i have had for about 2 days. At first i thought it was just a normal burning/itching which i sometimes tend to get when i'm on my period, but i don't normally have the need to urinate and it doesn't burn like this usually. I don't have any other symptoms, and the discomfort and burning is only in the low regions when the urine is about to come out. Could this be a urine tract infection and/or is it something to do with my period? I have also been using a new toilet paper brand of late. Thank you for your help!

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 20 Doctors Online

Hello. Thank you for posting your query at
I understand your concern.
Thanks for your elaborate history. It does seem more like an UTI, as the symptoms most commonly experienced in UTI in the acute stages are lower abdominal discomfort, slight vague abdominal pain, frequency to urinate, burning micturition, and at times feeling of incomplete void. The new brand of tissue paper does not seem to contribute to any kind of allergy here. Ideally it is better to get an urine routine examination done just to confirm the pH pf the urine, and to check for the presence of pus cells in the urine which will be confirmatory for the infection. If it is posible for you, then send your urine for a routine examination. Meanwhile i will suggest the following medicine for you :
Tab. Norfloxacin 500 mg twice daily for 5-7 days depending on the severity.
Plenty of water and fluids to prevent the urine from getting too acidic and flush out the bacteria.
Please send your urine for analysis before starting the medicine.
Hope this is helpful.
Feel free to discuss further,

Patient replied :

Hi and thank you very much for your advice and fast response. If it has not cleared up by next week i will look into it further, but as it is the early hours of Sunday morning i won't be able to get to a doctor until next week. Is there any thing i can do from home to help it along? I've heard drinking cranberry juice is good and bi carb soda? And i will drink plenty of water. Or anything i can get from a chemist which is ok to take for now?

Hello. Thank you for posting the follow up.
Since it is not possible for you to immediately get the urine test done, you can get tablet norfloxacin and start the treatment. It should settle down in 5-7 days time.
Also you can drink bi carb soda. It will help in turning the urine less acidic. It is helpful in UTI and cystitis cases.
It is really good to find such intelligent and knowledgeable patients.
Tablet Norfloxacin and bi carb soda along with plenty of water will be fine for now.
Get back to me in 3 days time and let me know about your symptoms.

Patient replied :

Hi, sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I went to the doctor on Monday last week and did a urine test and got antibiotics, which i finish taking today. It feels much better except for a slight burn at the end of urinating but it's nothing like before and i don't feel like i need to go all the time. Now i am experiencing a sort of itchy/irritation feeling up inside my vagina which i'm not quite sure what it is. I have had it quite a few times in the past, usually before and after my period, though this time it seems to be hainging a bit longer. It is not severely bad but just enough to be uncomfortable at times, but then sometimes i can't feel it at all. Thought it might've been thrush but i have no discharge as far as i know, and i think from what i'm told that thrush is much worse. If it continues i will go to the doctor but i am hoping it will just go as it doesn't really stop me from functioning and isn't always there.

Good to hear that you are recovering well.
The present irritation could be due to a mild thrush. Since you have just been on antibiotics, it could have caused a slight imbalance in the normal microbial flora of the vagina. However, it is nothing to worry about as it will go away on its own.
In case it persists longer or if the symptoms worsen with discharge etc, it is better to see your Gynaecologist for an internal exam and appropriate treatment.
Meanwhile, take plenty of fluids and keep the genital area clean and dry. Do not use harsh soaps or agents. A pH balanced gentle intimate wash can be used.
Take care.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news