Ingurgitating JUGULAR VEIN when cry in baby. Cause?

hello My 21 months son when he cry or aré upset i can see his left yugular vein ingurgitated
He doesnt has another symptom, he is otherwise well
He plays and runs. Sometimes when he runs he has cough and the doctor told me that could be asthma

Category: Pediatric Cardiologist

Expert:  Dr. Rodney Samaan replied 4 Days.

Dear Parent,

I can understand your concern. You have a keen sense of observation. This is a physiological phenomenon only. The intrathoracic pressure (pressure inside baby's chest) rises during crying, straining and breath holding. This impedes the venous return ( blood returning from all parts of the body to the heart) from especially the head and neck. This is visible as engorgement of the neck veins (jugular veins) in your child. This happens in everyone. If the same happens when the child is normal, then it is of serious concern and could point to an underlying heart disease.
Coughing while running is not labeled as asthma. If he has exercise induced breathlessness or wheezing, then we could consider evaluating him for an underlying asthma.
Enjoy your parenthood :)

ok thank you so much, i m ok now. Did you see the picture? Thanks in advance

Expert:  Dr. Rodney Samaan replied 3 Days.

No, I can't see any image attached.
If you are having difficulties uploading the image on the dashboard, send it directly to info@doctorspring.com
I will get back to you after reviewing.

I already send the picture to the mail you gave yo me

Expert:  Dr. Rodney Samaan replied 2 Days.

Yes, I have already reviewed the picture and given my opinion.
He seems to be perfectly normal. There are no tell - tale markers of heart disease or other diseases. One cannot reliably rule out anything based on a photograph. But, yeah, overall he looks okay for a 21 month-old.

Dr. Rodney Samaan
Fellowships & Internships - Advanced training of a fellowship in Cardiovascular Disease, Saint Vincents Medical Center, NYC
Residencies - Internal medicine and Pediatrics, Case Medical Center/University Hospitals of Cleveland, Rainbow Babies Children's Hospital
Medical School - University of Kentucky College of Medicine, 2003