Can I take ST JOHNS WART for DEPRESSION?

I am 13 years old, and I want to start taking st johns wort for depression because I can't get a definite diagnosis or prescription medication. I am not currently taking any other supplements or medications. Is it okay for me to be taking this? How much of it should I be taking if so? (I want to use the powder or liquid not the pills if that makes any difference.)

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

Tramadol doesnt rest you in square one as it is stated but it will definitely impeded your withdrawal treatment. Retrospectively, if tramadol has helped you in feeling better, I feel the symptoms that you were suffering from were chronic withdrawal symptoms of opioids. If the symptoms are troubling you, then further treatment with subutex is recommended.
Coming to your second question, Tramadol is a temporary treatment for migraine and as a painkiller it can be used when ever you have a migraine. It can be taken 4-5 times a month without any possibility of addiction. The good drugs for prophylaxis of migraine are divalproex sodium, flunarizine, propranolol and topiramate. You may discuss these options with your treating doctor.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.