Changes in my Voice

Hello. I am a 25 year female. My current occupation is teacher. I am presently working as a language teacher for an elementary school. I am normally healthy. I don't have any medical problem except for cycle problems. My periods get delayed every time for at least 5 days. Now my problem is my voice is getting changed.I am facing difficulty in class. I cannot raise my voice further. I used to speak a loud. But from the past 10 days, I am unable to shout. I feel depressed because children in the class are not listening to me and moreover they are laughing at me everytime when I speak. I thought this is due to cold and the resulting cough. I have only mild cough. I have experienced this kind of symptoms In the past for almost 3 times. Now it is recurring. Right now my cold has been subsided. But still I don't get relief from this voice change. There is pain in my throat. I feel something is obstructing while I am taking food. Please tell me what is this? Please give some tips. I can't afford going to a super specialty hospital.

Hello. Thanks for posting your query here.

I'm sorry about your present condition. The change in your voice, like your voice becoming husky is called hoarseness of voice. It can be due to many reasons. But in your case, as you are a teacher and you are feeling some obstruction in your throat my diagnosis goes more in favour of vocal nodules. Vocal nodules are extra masses on the vocal cords that developed due to mechanical,physical trauma to the vocal cords. These extra masses appear because of vocal abuse or repeated coughing. They are diagnosed by an ENT specialist through some specialised instruments. This is usually seen in singers, teachers, actors, and broadcasters. The prognosis is usually good with proper treatment.

The treatment involves speech or voice therapy and voice rest. I request you to consult an ENT specialist for the case to be diagnosed and to be managed.