Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Changes in my Voice

Resolved Question:

Hello. I am a 25 year female. My current occupation is teacher. I am presently working as a language teacher for an elementary school. I am normally healthy. I don't have any medical problem except for cycle problems. My periods get delayed every time for at least 5 days. Now my problem is my voice is getting changed.I am facing difficulty in class. I cannot raise my voice further. I used to speak a loud. But from the past 10 days, I am unable to shout. I feel depressed because children in the class are not listening to me and moreover they are laughing at me everytime when I speak. I thought this is due to cold and the resulting cough. I have only mild cough. I have experienced this kind of symptoms In the past for almost 3 times. Now it is recurring. Right now my cold has been subsided. But still I don't get relief from this voice change. There is pain in my throat. I feel something is obstructing while I am taking food. Please tell me what is this? Please give some tips. I can't afford going to a super specialty hospital.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 25 Doctors Online

Hello. Thanks for posting your query here.

I'm sorry about your present condition. The change in your voice, like your voice becoming husky is called hoarseness of voice. It can be due to many reasons. But in your case, as you are a teacher and you are feeling some obstruction in your throat my diagnosis goes more in favour of vocal nodules. Vocal nodules are extra masses on the vocal cords that developed due to mechanical,physical trauma to the vocal cords. These extra masses appear because of vocal abuse or repeated coughing. They are diagnosed by an ENT specialist through some specialised instruments. This is usually seen in singers, teachers, actors, and broadcasters. The prognosis is usually good with proper treatment.

The treatment involves speech or voice therapy and voice rest. I request you to consult an ENT specialist for the case to be diagnosed and to be managed.

Hope this helps.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news