Chronic Bronchitis.

I've been having a cough on and off for about 2 months + now and I have seen a doctor 3 times within that time and have been given 2 types of antibiotics, Flonase and Sudafed.

It appears that the cough maybe due to post nasal drip so I have a chest x-ray scheduled this coming week to rule out any other serious condition.

My concern is that my neck and lower head area hurts when I cough and when I exert pressure and this started days ago and I also got into a car accident a few days ago -low impact. Should I be concerned that my head hurts when I cough. It does not hurt otherwise but it feels tender. If I remember correctly, I may have had this issue in the past.

I also have a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon.

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Service from Doctor Spring.
I can understand your problem, and will try to help you the best possible

Your are suffering from cough since more than 2 months. Usually any infective pathology doesn’t last that long. So I want to know few details about it.

Cough is –
Dry/ wet(productive) – if productive what is the color of sputum
More in day time or in night
Does it affect your sleep?
Any associated breathing difficulty or chest pain or fever or any nasal symptoms including nasal discharge or nose block when it starts it last for few minutes (mean do you have bouts of cough)
Do you smoke?
Do you have acidity or burning sensation in chest?
Do you have throat pain or difficulty in swallowing?
Do you have any voice change?

Your neck pain is related to cough, but as you mentioned it increases pressure and movement in lower neck area, which is causing pain (as you had accident and you have tenderness also in same area means you did not recover fully from trauma and still some inflammation is there.

So we need to treat your cough and neck pain separately.

You will require to get a Chest xray.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.Please reply as a follow up

Dr. Sunil Jalan
MBBS, DLO,MS(ENT), DNB,DAA

Hello Dr. Jalan,

My cough is wet and the sputum is clearish to a bit yellow. Cough is occurring day and night and it does affect sleep. Slight breathing diffulty after cough but no chest pain. One side of the nose is always clogged and no very slight nose discharge to none. voice changed for a couple of days due to what I thought was a cold. Non-smoker.

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 3 Days.

Most likely you are having an allergic cough. so antibiotic may not help much, But you can finish present course of antibiotic and then stop it.
You should continue Flonase at least for 6 weeks. You will get permanent relief in nasal obstruction and it will decrease post nasal drip also.
Sudafed causes sleepiness, you can stop it.
We can start Tab. Montair-LC once in night for 15 days.(antihistamine medication, antiallergic)
you can start syr. Piriton-CS 5 ml two times for 5days.

If you have acidity then you may add Tab. Rabeprazole 20 mg (Parit 20mg ) once in morning before breakfast for 2 weeks (as acid reflux will also cause throat irritation and cough)

Summary:
to continue Flonase
to stop Sudafed
to start
Tab. Montair-LC once in night for 15 days.
syr. Piriton-CS 5 ml two times for 5days.
Tab. Rabeprazole 20 mg before breakfast for 2 weeks.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

Dr. Sunil Jalan
MBBS, DLO,MS(ENT), DNB,DAA

Dr. Sunil Jalan
DAA (Diploma in asthma and allergy) : Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2012
D.N.B (ENT), 2011
Residency - M.S. (Master post graduate degree in otorhinolaryngology),  Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2009
D.L.O. (Diploma in otorhinolaryngology) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007
Medical School - M.B.B.S, S.P. Medical college, Bikaner, 2004