Common warts and chance to genital warts.

Hi doctor, I am a 28 years old male with good health. I am not so sexually active buy used to have sex at times. Long before, I had two warts in my foot. It was on my index finger and on side of foot. Can these warts spread to another person if some physical contact happens? Also, are common warts similar to genital warts? I heard that genital warts are incurable in nature. Is there any way to prevent it from spreading, if it is not curable? How can I rule out a chance of genital warts, where these warts spread to genital areas?

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question. HPV or Human Papilloma Virus causes genital warts in affected people. It is very commonly seen nowadays among young adults. They are incurable in nature and are caused by a variety of 70 or more types of viruses. They are differentiated by the area in which they are affected. Some affect skins of hands and feet while some others affect genitals causing genital warts which look like cauliflower. Those causing genital warts are more dangerous than other counter parts. They can be spread through nicks and cuts in skin when you walk barefoot in areas where the viruses are present. So, simply your warts can be spread to your girlfriend while having sexual intercourse. Anyway she will not be at a high risk of getting affected, if her immune system is healthy enough. Many types of genital warts stay dormant for years without causing any symptoms. But even at this stage they are prone to getting spread to others who engage in sex with the affected person. Hygiene and use of condoms will help in reducing risk of getting affected with HPV infections. Hope your query is answered. Take care.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center