Concern regarding Height.

Hi Doctor,
I'm a 24 year old student, I'm 5' 9" and want to grow taller, since I feel not happy with my height? Is there any chance for that?

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your query at DoctorSpring. I have read your question with diligence.

The height of 5'9" is generally not considered small. But if you are not happy with this height then there are not many options left. At your age our body stop to grow in length naturally. The only methods which remains is ILLIZAROV technique. This is one of the surgical method. In this they put several rings & pins in your legs. By this they gradually stretch the bones after cutting it. There is process of distraction & formation of bone which can result in increase in length in few centimeters. Remember this is an invasive procedure and is not really recommend. You may take opinion from your orthopedic doctor for this.

Hope this will help you.
Please feel free to ask followup questions.

With best wishes.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995