Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.
1. Why was bowel resection done?
2. When was the last colonoscopy done?
3. Any other medical illness like diabetes or hypothyroidism?
Patient replied :
in answer to the doctors questions
1....the resection was for a tumer in the lower bowel
2....about 4 years ago was my last colonoscopy....because i am 81 years old
3....i have no other medical issues......i was in the hospital recently for a hernia operation, during which i was in iintensive care for 30 days because i had swallowed my own vomit.
Thanks for the additional information.
The possible causes for the difficult bowel movements are --
1. There is a recurrence of the tumor.
2. There is narrowing of the bowel at the surgery site.
3. Could be functional as a result of the recent hospitalization.
Take high fiber diet, take fiber supplements like Metamucil and drink lot of fluids.
Or you can take Miralax for good bowel movements.
Consult your doctor for a CT scan/colonoscopy to look for recurrence or tumor or narrowing at the resection site.
Let me know if I can assist you further.