Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Discomfort and itch in perianal area

Resolved Question:

For several months I have suffered from severe itching and discomfort in the anal and perineal area. It started with reoccurring hemorrhoids acting up, then I noticed a fissure like thing in the anal fold (crack) right at the base which was ridiculously itchy. That progressed to a full blown inflammation, which includes severe itching, scaly dry skin that sloughs off, and a few red pimples on my butt cheeks that are itchy. I have tried treating it with otc creams like ones for jock itch, I tried balneol, I tried sitz baths, hydrocortisone, tea tree oil, etc.. to no avail. I also tried Diflucan 2 weeks ago, again symptoms seemed to get better but they came back. I just took another Diflucan yesterday and no improvement yet.I get some temporary relief and at one point I thought it was curing and going away, but it is back in full force and I don't know what it is! I am a VERY clean person down there and in fact, I think it may have started from over cleaning the area but I am not sure. This has been going on since August, so that is about 5 months now. I should also note that I have had diarrhea now for about a month straight with NO NORMAL stools, I am not sure if that is related or not. I am at the end of my rope, but too embarrassed to go to the dr's office! I have a pic that I can send.

Category: Dermatologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon
 21 Doctors Online


Thanks for posting your query at I can understand your concern.

You have got severe inflammation in the anal area , most likely due to the loose motions as the acidic nature of the stools has caused the inflammation.

I would recommend that you apply a combination of hydrocortisone cream, clotrimazole cream and fucidin cream on the area twice daily. The treatment will resolve the inflammation.

Hope this helps, Please let me know if you have any queries.

Take care

Patient replied :

I have treated it with those creams for some time! You should note that the inflammation was present PRIOR to the onset of diarrhea. Inflammation has been present for 5 MONTHS, diarrhea, only one! Please advise. What is this inflammation? Is there a better course of treatment? Also, I am SUPER clean when it comes to that area... so I do not leave any stool that could cause infection behind.


Thanks for your reply.

It's the over cleaning also which can give rise to dryness n resultant eczema that is present over there. Avoid rubbing the area too hard. Also if you have already used these creams and have got no relief, I would recommend that you get a prescription from your doctor for a higher strength steroid cream like mometasone. It's to be mixed and applied with clotrimazole and fucidin cream. That will help with your concern.

Hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further.

Take care

Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar
Category: Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon
Diploma in Dermatology - Royal College Of Physicians & Surgeons Of Glasgow, UK , 2010
Residency - DNB, Dermatology -  K.J Somaiya Hospital, Mumbai, 2009
Medical School & Internship - MBBS - Dr. D . Y . Patil Medical College, Mumbai, 2004
Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news