Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Do I have recurrence of Bacterial vaginitis?

Resolved Question:

Hello. I had unprotected sex with guy. Next day I started having burning during urination, frequent urination. Later, I had vaginal discharge. Also, I had unprotected sex with my husband. I went to my OB-GYN, no UTI, and no gonorrhea, only BV. I had 6 days suppositories. Then I had unprotected sex with my husband, and next morning again frequent urination. Please advice

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 19 Doctors Online

Hello, bacterial vaginitis is a common cause of vaginal infection for women of childbearing age. It frequently appears after sexual intercourse with the new partner but it is not sexually transmitted infection. It is common in women with multiple partners. It is caused by an imbalance of naturally occurring bacterial flora and smoking and use of some hygiene products are likely to develop BV. Sometimes it is asymptomatic .It may appear and disappear for no reason. In about 90 % of cases responds to antibiotics but another 25% develop BV in 3-4 weeks time. Patients with these symptoms present with vaginal discharge that could be watery or thin, becomes grey or white will have a string unpleasant smell, burning micturition and itching around the vagina. The vagina contains lactic acid bacilli, which prevents the growth of other bacteria. Certain activities can upset the balance of the naturally occurring bacterial flora and increase the risk of developing BV such as douching, having bath with antiseptic liquids, multiple sex partners, using scented soaps .It can be best diagnosed with a vaginal swab. BV can sometimes clear by it self, or the use of probiotics might help to avoid complications. Metronidazole is common antibiotic used. It is used twice a day after food. Metronidazole can react with alcohol so it is best not to consume alcohol with the medication. Alternatively you can use clindamycin either in the form of cream applying once a day for seven days or in a capsule forms twice a day for seven days. It is also ideal to treat your partner too. In regard to your question, you may have had a recurrence of the infection following the treatment .I would suggest you to consult your obg – gyn doctor for the management. Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news