Doubts of affecting herpes

Dear doctor.

I and my girlfriend just started having sex. Now I am in a state of confusion of affecting herpes, neither of us has any of the sexually transmitted diseases .i am really tensed and worried. Please help me to put my mind at ease.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question and concern. It is a natural thing to have some worries on the first time having sex. It is a great thing that you are concerned about the sexual health. The one and only one thing to keep your mind at ease is to practice safe sex that is using the condom for penetrative intercourse and also to use dental dams in the time of oral sex. By adopting these things you will have many benefits such as you can keep your mind at ease and have a relaxed sex and also you will not be affected by any of the sexually transmitted diseases. Using a condom for penetrative intercourse is a healthy method as it can prevent your girlfriend from becoming pregnant too. Dental dams are best during the time of oral sex. Oral sex includes the contact between the mouth and anus and also during the contact between mouth and vagina.

Herpes viruses are of mainly two types. The herpes simplex virus that is type1 mainly can cause sores all around the nose and mouth. Also it is capable of affecting the genitals, anal areas, and at eyes. The second one that is herpes simplex virus the type 2 is responsible for sore that may come in anal area, genital areas, mouth, eyes etc. The mode of transmission of herpes virus is mainly from the patient having active genital sores and cold. So if both the partners are not having sexually transmitted diseases herpes is capable of affecting the genital area if someone is having it around the mouth.

In the episode of herpes, the sores and the blisters are highly dangerous as the virus is capable to pass to others by the direct contact. There are also chances of having the herpes virus even without the presence of having any sores present. So a good communication and the trust is a vital thing to be kept between the people who are involved in a sexual relation. If you or your partner have certain worries of being affected by the herpes virus it is better to get it tested at a clinic so that you can put your mind at ease.

The testing for herpes virus is easily done in a GUM (genitourinary medicine) clinic. The services are attached within local hospitals as separate departments. The consultants are available 24 hours, confidential and are free. It is good to see a health advisor so that you can discuss your concerns and get reassured about the tests involved in it.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center