Drip down my throat due to bad SINUSITIS.

Good day Doc - Please assist me : I'm 34 year old Male, South Africa - it is winter time here.

I am currently having difficulty with rather bad sinusitis - I have a drip down my throat. Also combined is a fever that is lasting for 2 weeks but very intermittend. i also have flu currently - body is soar. I still eat good but sleeping is a problem due to excessive coughing of the mucus that collects at the bottom part of my throat . the mucus also hardens and when waking up , it must be coughed up and spit out - it creates alot of discomfort.

my worry is that these are all items that can lead to bronchitis or acute bronchitis , which i had in 2005. I currently use acc200 to make mucus thin and drink corenza c to try and assist my body to fight the fever. other than that i use a humidifier to make air a bit moist and use strepsils for throat pain calming.

the problem is that i work in a IT environment where i sit 200 days per year in a VERY cold environment. i always get sick - not sure what to do as it is worse winter than in summer. however the sinus is the problem.

i am extremely sensitive to winter sunlight , lately with fever - if i get sunlight my cheeks turn red quickly. my tonsils were removed at young age so they are not in this equation.

i try to shower steam every morning and evening for 15-20min , which helps. Also a problem is the blowing of the nose the entire day . a BIG irritation. i have tried FLOMIST (saltwater spray into nose) but no luck .

i don't know what is the best way to FIX this. i had roxybid 500mg antibiotic last week but it didn't solve this.

Jannie.

Hello. Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
Have you taken any recent x ray of your sinuses? If you haven't then i will advise you to get a X-RAY PNS done and upload the same, so that i have a better picture of your sinuses. Sometimes if sinuses keep causing problems chronically, then it is better to get them removed. Once i see your X-RAY i will be able to guide you further.
Some people are more prone for cold, and recurrent post nasal drip causes a lot of infections and hamper their daily life. Moreover you're working in an IT company and as you said it is very cold in there. This also makes you vulnerable for infections. I will advise you to take the following medicines :
1) Tab. Levofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for 5-7 days ( very effective for upper resp tract infections )
2) Tab. Montelukast- Levocetrizine can be taken twice daily for 5 days ( effective in relieving congestion and reduces mucus formation, also will improve your cough symptoms. The only issue it can make you slightly drowsy, so take accordingly )
3) Tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg can be taken twice daily after food for 3 days ( to relieve your myalgia, and body pain ).
4) Syp. Codeine 2 teaspoons twice daily, for relieving your cough for 3-5 days deoending on your severity.
5) Nasivion nasal drop 5 drops each nostril, for 5 days.
Kindly take the above mentioned medicines. They will be able to help you with your symptoms. I will also advise you to get the X-RAY PNS done and if they are found to be congested, then the possibility of getting them removed can be discussed with your local ENT specialist.