Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home


Resolved Question:

I suffered an non displaced l3 transverse process fracture, no other lumbar spine fracture. I also suffered an occiptial laceration 3cm long and .4 mm deep edges separated with a brief loc. This was a result of a peadestrian vrs car accident. This happened 10/04/2014.

I am still having significant back pain and as a result I am having to take treamadol and endone as PRN.

1 Question. Is there a chance that I will chronic pain as a result.
2. As I have had a Mild TBI, If I have been drinking what will this do in terms of delaying the recovery. ie. Improving memory loss concentration etc.
3. Would I have caused more damage if I had drunk during this period.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Spine Surgeon
 26 Doctors Online

Thank you for your query at
I have read your question with diligence.
1.In undisplaced transverse process fracture of lumber 3 vertebrae there are almost nil chances that you may have chronic pain.
2.Drinking is always have deleterious effect on tissue recovery.If you are chronic user of alcohol in large amount then this can damage your tissue.Nerve tissues are more prone for damages from alcohol.
3.As you had mild TBI so there are less chances of having more damages due to alcohol.In mild TBI there is generally mild edema is present which gradually resolves in few days to few weeks.
Hope this all will help you.
Feel free to discuss further,
With best wishes.

Patient replied :

Thank you for your detailed response. Just with a follow up and clarification. I am not heavy drinker and have only had a few drinks, occassionally post the accident, however sometimes may have " binged drinked".
Why do you think I have ongoing pain adn memory loss issues.

Most probably you have misread my comments.I have written that there are almost NIL chances that you may have chronic pain issue because such type of undisplaced injuries do not lead to chronic pain.
If the memory loss is gradually happening then you need to consult a physician.
With best wishes.

Patient replied :

Dear DOctor,

Many thanks for your feedback. I have had ongoing back pain since the accident. As this is unusal what do you think could be the issue?

Thank you for the follow up.
It is probably due to the impact of the accident. Though not chronic this kind of pain needs a considerable amount of time to recover. The intensity has reduced right?

Patient replied :

Dear Docotr,
Many thanks for the answer. THe pain fluxuates quite dramatically, some days it is manageable other days it is very bad that I need to take endone and treamodol. Is it unusal to be this bad after almost a year.

If the pain is persistent, then you can visit a chiropracter.
A couple of physiotherapy session with back strengthening exercises will be helpful.
Please update me after that.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Category: Spine Surgeon
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995
Dr. Mukesh Tiwari and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news