Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home


Resolved Question:

Dear Doctor

This is regarding my husband's high level of cholesterol. He is 30 years old and is diagnosed with high cholesterol last year. (Total cholesterol 290, LDL 200). As per the advice of the doctor he was taking Rosuvastatin 5mg. After 6 months the levels have come down (Total 240, LDL 178, HDL 45). Since the levels are still above the normal, the doctor has prescribed 10mg Rosuvastatin instead of 5mg. Currently it has been two months on 10mg cholesterol. My husband follows a low fat diet (not very strict) but not doing any exercises as of now. His weight is normal. His father had a bypass surgery at the age of 50 but now he is doing great (age 70).The following are my queries.

1)Do you think this is the right way of treatment. Will taking statin long term cause any problems?

2)My husband was following a very bad diet before the diagnosis. Do you think it might have already contributed to any plaque build up as it seems that he might have had cholesterol from a young age? Does statin clears it?

3)Is this a manageable problem? In other words should I be paranoid about the whole high cholesterol thing?

4)Can he ever go off statins?

I will be very grateful if you could clarify my doubts.

Thank you

Category: General Surgeon

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Pediatric Surgeon
 30 Doctors Online

Thank you for your query at
I can understand how such a problem may cause discomfort.
There are many possibilities to what could produce a lump in the anal area (for example hemorrhoid or skin tag or beginning of an abscess or genital wart) and a photograph would help me better diagnose and suggest further management.
Also in your reply, kindly include the following details:
1. Do you suffer from constipation ? Have you noticed any recent changes in stool consistency or frquency?
2. Have there been any recent radical changes in your diet?
3. Does your occupation involve sitting for prolonged periods of time?
4. Since how long have you had this? Did it follow any specific incident that you can remember (for example sexual intercourse?) Have you had an accompanying fever or does the region feel tender when you touch it?
I would like to assure you the complete confidentiality of any material you send to us. It can be uploaded onto the website or sent via email to [email protected]
Hope this helps, feel free to discuss further

Patient replied :

I have suffered constipation in the past but not recently. My stool frequency hasn't noticeably changed but I have been passing stools that have no form (not diarrhea). My occupation involves me being on my feet most of the time, and I don't really sit too much at home either. I only noticed the lump come up a few days ago but I have had an ache (mainly after sitting) in the area at times for a few weeks, as well as unexplained itching (not on the lump, but around the area) Other than that I've had no other significant symptoms. The lump isn't sensitive to touch but pain does increase if pressure is applied. I couldn't pin point a specific incident but I have been sexually active (more than 2 weeks ago). i should note the aching comes more from underneath the bump with a larger area. The bump itself doesn't hurt (to squeeze etc) but the pressures goes through to underneath. It feels firmer (and more tender) on the side with the lump than the other.

After examining the pictures, it looks like an External haemorrhoid.
Another possibility is a perianal abscess. It is very painful, needs immediate intervention. It has to be drained.
As you are comfortable, it goes more in favour of external haemorrhoid.
Please drink plenty of liquids, eat fresh fruits and vegetables,have high fiber diet. The value in increasing the fiber in your diet ensures daily, smooth bowel movements which will prevent further exacerbation of the problem. This is the primary management of hemorrhoids and swelling may come down just from doing this.
If there is no response, to the above, you will need to visit a surgeon in person to underogo rubber band ligation of the hemorrhoid.
Try not to worry too much over this, It will come down.
If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela
Category: Pediatric Surgeon
Fellowship: DNB, General Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, 2001
Residency: MS, General Surgery, Sri Venkateswara Medical College,Tirupathi, 2000
Medical School: MBBS, Kurnool Medical college, 1995
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news