Effects of pediatric supplements, krill oil on ABG, AMMONIA.

HELLO DR

I HAVE DONE ABG AND AMMONIA TEST IN CMC VELLORE , I TOLD THE VALUES ARE
WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS

HIS AMMONIA 18 UG%

ABG ATTACHED

MY SON EAT NON VEG ATLEAST 4 DAYS A WEEK.,( FISH CHICKEN TURKEY PRAWN)
AND ALMONDS 30 A DAY

WHILE GIVING BLOOD FOR ION PROFILE HE TAKES PEDIACTIV SUPPLEMENTS AND KRILL OIL
I ALSO ATTACHED THE SAME

FOR THE PAST 2 DAY HE NOT TAKEN ANY NON VEG

MY DOUBT IS WHETHER THESE SUPPLEMENTS COULD CAUSE ?

Category: Pediatrician

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 4 Days.

Dear parent,
I have been telling you this all along. There was absolutely no indication for putting your child through the ION profile. One false positive test has led to so much anxiety, unnecessary tests and waste of money.
Anyways, please relax. Stop all these unnecessary supplements. Give your child nutritious diet and encourage physical activity. Make sure he drinks a lot of water daily and leads a healthy life.
Mild increase in serum ammonia levels can be due to the food consumed. It depends on so many other factors as well. That is why I was unconvinced about your child's illness. There is no history suggestive of an urea cycle defect. However, just to be doubly sure, get his serum fasting ammonia levels after a couple of weeks ensuring that he adheres to the food recommendations needed for the test for at least three days.
If you run twelve tests, one is likely to return abnormal purely by chance. So watch out for unnecessary investigations henceforth. Please DO NOT give him more than 5 almonds and also stop all supplements.
Wishing that your son remains hale and healthy always

THANKS DR
I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND THESE PHRASES , PLEASE EXPLAIN SIR
he adheres to the food recommendations needed for the test for at least three days.

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 3 Days.

Dear parent,
I apologize if the message was not clear. Prior to ammonia testing there are a number of precautions that need to be adhered to.
Let me clarify-
Urinary tract infections and any other infection can mildly raise serum ammonia levels. So first step is to ensure that child is not suffering from any acute infection.
Child should not be exposed to primary or secondary smoking. Cigarette smoke can raise ammonia levels.
Child should take normal diet for three days and must not consume excess of meat. Prior to the test, child must fast for twelve hours.
The blood sample must be a free flowing sample without use of a tourniquet. Sample must be sealed and processed immediately.

Dr. Saptharishi L G
Senior Residency: DM,  Pediatric Critical Care, PGIMER

Residency: MD, Pediatrics, Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, 2013

Internship: JIPMER, 2009

Medical School: MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, 2008