Erectile dysfunction in younger men

Dear Doctor,

I am 17 years old and while trying to have sex I have not been able to maintain erection, this has happened about 4 or 5 times. I want to what is wrong with me, can you help me?

Thanks for the question. There are many causes for erection dysfunction in younger men. ED is a complex combination of psychological, neurologic, hemodynamic, mechanical or hormonal components. Due to stress and performance anxiety may cause psychological dysfunction, it may vary from partner and circumstances, also most common in younger men having morning erectile problem. Depression and smoking or consumption of alcohol also may cause erectile problem. Neurologic problems in brain or spinal cord may also lead to erection problems, but they usually occur with problems in urination and defection. Due to high BP, diabetes and cholesterol levels may also cause these problems. Hormonal problems like thyroid hormones and due to low testosterone may also result in erection problems. It would be better to consult a urologist, as they are the experts in erectile dysfunction. As you are very young the major cause is psychological and the root cause of your problem must be identified soon. I hope I had answered your question.