Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Extreme lethargy

Resolved Question:

I've been extremely lethargic for the last couple of weeks. In the last week, I've developed severe body aches (Mainly mid to lower back and hips), and I alternate between cold chills and hot flashes. I do not have a fever, but I feel very tired and weak. I'm a 29 y/o female with no prior pertinent medical history.

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 23 Doctors Online


Thank you for choosing Doctorspring. I will be glad to help you.

I do understand that you are troubled by multiple symptoms in the last couple of weeks that you are worried about. You have provided good information , yet I would require you to answer a few more questions before I could come to a probable diagnosis and help you resolve your issue.
1.May I know your marital status and how sexually active you are?
2.May I know about your menstrual history? Are you having scanty periods and prolonged cycles?
3.Do you feel you had any unexplained weight gain recently?

Being a woman and in case you are sexually active I would always recommend you first have a home pregnancy test done before you proceed any further. If the test result is negative then I strongly recommend you have a thyroid profile done. Get your TSH , T3 and T4 levels done. In case your TSH levels turn out to be high then you have a clinical condition known as Hypothyroidism. All of your symptoms can be explained by this condition. If the lab results are indicative of Hypothyroidism then you will probably have to be started on levothyroxine tab daily under the guidance of your endocrinologist.

In case your thyroid profile turns out to be normal, then you may have to get your FSH,LH,Oestrogen levels done to rule out early menopause.

Hope this helps. I will be glad to answer any further queries.
Thank you.

Patient replied :

Thank you for your reply. I have had my thyroid levels drawn in the last few months and they were all within normal limits. I am married (have been for 6 years) and am not pregnant. My menstrual cycle has always been sporadic and the cramping with my periods has always been extremely painful. I do not feel like I have had any unexplained weight gain recently. So, should I go to my PCP and ask them to check the FSH, LH, and estrogen levels?

The FSH, LH evaluation may be done as a part of a OBGYN evaluation in view of the sporadic menstrual bleeding and cramps. An ultrasound of the abdomen also may be needed.

HOWEVER - this currently symptoms aches, chills and flashes can be also due to a passing prolonged viral infection. In that case the infection and the symptoms will be self resolving. It might take upto 2 weeks.

So my recommendations would be :

1. Wait and watch for a week or more. Take nutritious food, drink plenty of water. Do no over exert.
2. If symptoms persists get a baseline evalaution - Complete blood count, Urine Routine.
3. Consider OBGYN evaluation if the test results are normal. This may included FSH, LH, Ultrasound.

Hope this helps
Feel free to ask followups
Thank you

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news