Thanks for writing to DoctorSpring.com with your health concern.
Would you please provide a few more details .
Are you sexually active ?
Have you always had regular cycles ?
Is the first time you have experienced such heavy bleeding ?
Have you had unprotected sex lately ?
What is your height and weight ?
Are you using any kind of blood thinners or such medications ?
SInce when has this period started ?
Are you having inordinate amount of pain / cramping ?
Please write back so that I can then help you further.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Patient replied :
Hi Dr Vazirani,
- Yes, I'm sexually active
- My periods are more regular in terms of timing but they vary randomly in terms of the blood flow from very light to very heavy
- Again my periods are always random but today was especially heavy
- 5'4 and 115 lbs
- I had two pills of Ritalin but the bleeding occured before taking these meds and felt lightheaded after taking them
- Period started on Dec 9th
- Not too much pain but on my first day I had cramping and backache which wasn't too surprising
Thank you for the follow up.
Just take a pregnancy test to rule out a miscarriage. A pregnancy test will be able to guide the best regarding miscarriage chances.
If it is negative, there is nothing to worry about.
Consult a gynecologist for an internal exam, hormonal tests and a pelvic ultrasound scan if the bleeding persists beyond the expected days of your period.
Patient replied :
I took two pregnancy tests on the 8th and it was negative so not exactly sure if it's a miscarriage. I'll see a doc again this Friday to check my hormones and see if it's something rather serious.
Yes please do that. Heavy bleeding is never something that must be left without a thorough evlauation hence I insisted on a personal visit to the OBGYN.
Insist on an internal exam, a Pap smear, vaginal ultrasound scan and hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin
Hope this helps, feel free to reply when your visit is over and should you have further queries