Genital warts problem

Dear doctor I am pregnant women. I have been affected by the genital problem last week. I want to have a normal delivery. Is the normal delivery still possible? I am really afraid if the warts will affect by unborn child too. Can I get treated even if I am pregnant?

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question and concern. The (SSHA), society of sexual health services says that it is a safe thing to treat genital warts even if you are pregnant except in some cases the treatment is post ponded till the time of delivery. It is being said that each women is individually assessed.

If you are recognized as being affected by genital warts, then one of the best things to do is to go to the nearest (GUM) genitourinary medicine clinic. In the genitourinary medicine clinic you can discuss the problem with a consultant and he will answer to all your questions. They will be very happy to answer all these matters so you will get much relaxed in talking to them. They will keep your visit confidential that is they will not tell this to anyone else unless you are allowed to. The GUM clinics are usually attached within hospitals as separate departments.

Sexually transmitted diseases (STI) are of many types and are spread in many ways not just by penetrative sexual intercourse. Also there are some infections that are not at all sexually transmitted diseases.

In a vast number of people there will no signs or symptoms of an infection even if they actually have one. If there are symptoms then in most cases it will be unusual discharge from the vagina or from the penis, heavy periods or irregular bleeding periods, burning sensation or pain on the time of urine pass, rashes, itching all around genitals or anus.

It is a common thing to become nervous or frightened at the thought of being undergoing a test for a certain infection but the most important thing to remember is that most of the infections are easily curable. So don’t delay the treatment. Delayed treatment cause many problems.

The tests for each infection vary. Some tests involve simply taking swabs from tip of penis or the cervix. Some other tests include taking a blood sample or a urine sample. Before undergoing the tests it will be good if you visit a health advisor so that he can tell you what are all involved in these tests so that you get reassured.

To reduce all these risks of being affected by the sexually transmitted diseases in future, whenever you have a penetrative sexual intercourse always use a condom. Condoms will keep you safe from getting you affected from the STD. also you should use dental dams whenever there is a sexual contact between the mouth and vagina and also in between the contact of mouth and penis. Dental dams are thin squares of latex. Both of these are easily available and not at all costly.Get your problem treated soon. Take care.

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital