Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Have irregular but heavy bleeding

Resolved Question:

Ever since I started my periods they have always been irregular. First they were every 2 months and then every 3 months. For the past few years they would come and go. For a few months I would have my period every week, and then it would suddenly stop for a few months. I have noticed over the past 2 years that my periods are getting heavier. Last year my Doctor prescribed me tablets for heavy blood loss. But I ended up in hospital as I had an allergic reaction to them. This week it has been the heaviest it has ever been. I have a few stomach cramps and I am changing my pad more and more. Also I am feeling more tired. I don't really know what to do.

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 18 Doctors Online

I understand your anxiety. Irregular periods can occur due to various reasons most commonly due to emotional stress. It can also be triggered by one of these factors such as:

a) Emotional stresses can also irregular periods.

b) Excessive weight loss or gain

c) Eating disorders like Bulimia

d) Travelling

e) Certain medications like birth control pills

f) Increased exercises.

Menstrual cycle is usually 28-day cycle. It is divided into four phases:

a) Menses phase: This usually occurs after the shedding of the uterine lining and results in next period. It generally last for 1-5 days. However it is considered normal even if women have 2-3 days of menstruation.

b) Follicular phase: Here due to estrogen levels, there is again thickening of the uterine wall. This lasts from 6-14 days.

c) Ovulation phase: This occurs on 14 th day, where there is an increase of the Luteinizing hormone resulting in release of the egg (ova)

d) Luteal phase: Here this occurs from 15-28 day cycle. The progesterone is released which prepares for pregnancy and fertilization occurs. The tiredness you may be feeling is due to loss of a lot of blood. I would suggest you to consult your obg – gyn doctor for further assessment. Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news