I was treated for leukemia when I was young. Can I conceive now?

Dear doctor, I was diagnosed with leukemia and was given treatment for it when I was 5 years old. All those treatments were stopped when I was eight years old. I have got married now and am in remission since that. So, is it safe for me and child if I get pregnant now? Is there any possibility that my children can get affected?

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question. It seems your question is not complete with details. Fertility depends on the kind of leukemia you had and the type of treatment you got. Usually, drugs used to treat leukemia can affect fertility. For you, still there is a chance of getting a 40-50% difficulty while conceiving and after that. It is also affected on the dose of treatment, duration of treatment and regimen used for it. You better ask your doctor to know which type of regimen was used. Have a thorough medical checkup before getting pregnant. It can help in avoiding further complications at the time of delivery or so. Good luck.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center