Stiffness in upper abdomen and intake of whisky daily

Hi Doctor,
I'm Kapil from India. I have been experiencing stiffness in my upper abdomen for the last couple of weeks.I do not have any pain or burning sensation. I experience this stifness only after eating. If I walk or do some kind of an activity, I do not feel anything. I feel normal after an hour or so. Could you please tell me what could this due to be. I do not smoke, Generally I consume alcohol twice a week. But I've been drinking 1 large peg of Wisky everyday for the last month or so.I do not have breakfast regularly due to my stressful work timings. I got a lot of tests done last week and here are some of the test results that looked out of normal ranges. I could send the complete test results if needed. Could you please help me here.

Total RBC - 6.29
HEMATOCRIT(PCV) 54.6
MEAN CORPUSCULAR HEMOGLOBIN 24.8
MEAN CORP.HEMO.CONC(MCHC) 28.6
RED CELL DISTRIBUTION WIDTH - SD(RDW-SD) 49.2
RED CELL DISTRIBUTION WIDTH (RDW-CV) 17.2
HIGH SENSITIVE C - REACTIVE PROTEIN (HsCRP)NEPHELOMETRY 0.3
Blood Urea Nitrogen 7.5
Total Cholesterol 252
TRIGLYCERIDES 216
VLDL CHOLESTEROL 43.22
BILIRUBIN -DIRECT 0.28
Vitamin B-12 - 182
25-OH VITAMIN D (TOTAL) 10.65

Thanks for your help in advance...

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your query at DoctorSpring. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I have gone through your test report.

Your cholesterol and triglyceride levels are high. You need to take low fat diet. You may require medications also.

You have low vitamin b12 and Vitamin D.Since you are not having any neurological symptoms and your MCV level is normal, this low b12 may not be of any significance. But you need to take Vitamin D supplements.

You can ignore the other test values you have mentioned in your post.

Regarding the "stiffness" you have mentioned, it could be due to acid peptic disease or gastroparesis. Medications like Ganaton Total may be taken for 4 weeks for relief.If the symptoms persist after treatment, you may need an upper GI endoscopy to find the cause.

I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University