I will be undergoing surgery for prostate cancer

Hello Doctor,

I am 35 years old and about to undergo surgery for prostate cancer. I am having a pleasant sexual life with my wife and want a child in our life. Consulting my friends and doctors I have to come to know that there is every chance of erectile dysfunction after surgery and am very much depressed about it. Can you advice me?

Thanks for your question. There is no need to worry because if at all there is erectile dysfunction during the post operative period, there are ways to overcome the problem. The first thing will be to go for penile rehabilitation which is a process to bring back the sexual urge and erection of penis as it was during pre surgery period. Get over your anxiousness by indulging yourself in multiple activities because mental anxiety may cause shortening of penis and erectile dysfunction. Regarding to having a child, I would suggest you to create a sperm bank before you undergo surgery to avoid any future complications about any problem that may arise relating to sex and copulation. There is every chance to get back to normal sexual life.