Improper erection secondary to anxiety.

Hi there,

I'm so scared.

I am 18 years old. I have a very healthy lifestyle. However, I can't get proper erections. I am becoming so depressed. I remember when I was about 15 I could get a very strong erection and it would be verticle. Now I can't get it very hard and if I do it goes down again really quick. I can't ever get it that hard. Near where the penis meets the body it also feels like it is 'broken' and it never hard there causing it to be soft there and not strong. I'm really scared and I can't sleep at nights thinking and worrying about it. I want to have sex with my girlfriend. I masturbate quite a lot, could that be the issue? Please help me or give me some advice.

Thanks a lot,

Kyle Petrie

Your body's response to sexual stimulation tend to vary a lot. So might not be as sensitive to same stimuli every time.( For example, porn) . This is the most common and most possible reason for not getting proper erections. Also if you have stress or anxiety issues this would interfere with erections.

"Near where the penis meets the body it also feels like it is 'broken' and it never hard there causing it to be soft there and not strong" - This is the normal anatomic beginning of the crux of penis , which ofcourse is normal.

I would like to know some additional information from you so that I can provide a better opinion.

1. Does this poor erection occur every time ? If not how frequent ?
2. Have you had sexual encounters (not necessarily penetration) with other partners ? If so how was the erection at that time ?
3. Are you in good health other wise ? Are you overweight or obese ?
4. Any past history or surgery / medical illness ?
5. Any loss of sleep / weight loss / anxiety issues ?

You can reply as a followup

Hi, thanks for the informaion. In response to your questions:

1. I only seem to get a good erection very unoften. I remember maybe once every two weeks I could wake up in the morning with a strong erection but this is the only time.

2.I have had one sexual encounter where I did have a lot of diffaculty to get hard. It wasn't a good experience.

3.I am in good health, healthy weight, eat a good diet and excersise daily.

4.No surgery or medical illness.

5. No, I haven't been sleeping great this week but the problem has been much more ongoing than weeks. 2 years at least. I think the reason I haven't been sleeping is because of the stress of knowing there is something wrong...

Thanks a lot,

Kyle

I would still say the first and most possible causes will be non organic. That means either lack of proper stimuli, anxiety, stress etc. However I strongly recommend a set of evaluation to rule any underlying problem for this lack of adequate erection.

The first step would be S.Testosterone, FSH, LH and a doppler test. You should get in touch with your Doctor for evaluation.

Please feel free to ask followup questions