INCISIONAL HERNIA filled with FAT. Syrgery needed?

I have a rather large incisional hernia that for a while caused me pain from my intestine getting trapped. I was taught how to “reduce” it. Recently I have not had any pain. My surgeon says that it is now filled with fat. He is leaving the decision about surgery to me. Now that it is filled with fat is it likely to be of any danger to me?

Category: General Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Hari Charan Perigela replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
There is no role of medicines in Incisional hernia.
Whether the content of hernial sac is Omental fat or Intestine, Surgery has to be done.
In course of time, the hernial sac may become bigger and intestine may enter into it.If it gets obstructed, chances of Gangrene of the bowel will increase.
So,to prevent further complications,it is better to go for Hernioplasty, i.e mesh repair.
Unless there are severe contraindications like Cardiac disease, Clotting abnormalities, not fit for surgery etc , you can proceed with surgery.
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query.
If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela
Fellowship: DNB, General Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, 2001
Residency: MS, General Surgery, Sri Venkateswara Medical College,Tirupathi, 2000
Medical School: MBBS, Kurnool Medical college, 1995