Infant with fever

My Child is 10 months old, she had a fever yesterday and we have given her medicine for fever..but now it is 3 am here and she has a 103 degree.Please advise what should i do until i get to a doctor...She is not taking mother feed..

Category: Pediatrician

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 4 Days.

Dear Parent,

Thank you for your consult at DoctorSpring.com. I understand your concerns.

Your description of fever seems to be non-specific at this point (as there is no localizing complaint; Eg: fever with rapid breathing would point towards pneumonia). This would fit into the broad description of 'Fever without source' (FWS). Any child with such fever needs to be evaluated for underlying viral illnesses.

If she is not accepting feeds well, there is more reason for you to seek medical attention. Kindly take your child to the nearest pediatric emergency. I would recommend a few preliminary blood and urine tests (Including viral markers, CRP, Procalcitonin, etc).

Hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further.

Dr Saptharishi L G

We had visited a doctor and they provided a pill in the anus of the child...They also suggested a syrup named "Algifor" and asked us to give three times a day with 4.5 ml....She was ok and there was no fever...Suddenly now it is 5am and the fever has hiked up again 102.9%F...

I am giving the syrup..in the meanwhile my friend advises..i also take a wet towel and wipe her forhead? and body...should i do this? please advise...

What should I be doing next...should i try this medicine for 2 days and see?

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 3 Days.

Dear Parent,
The drug prescribed contains Ibuprofen - an anti-inflammatory agent (Algifor). It brings down the fever and does not do anything about the underlying infection or cause (Only symptomatic therapy). So, it is only likely that she has a recurrence of fever. Hence, there is no need to panic. Wiping the child's forehead with a wet towel can be done if it comforts the child, but is not necessary.

An assumption regarding viral fever has been made in your child's case. This is the most likely cause. If the fever persists after 24-48 hours, it is better to get a few investigations done.

Just a word of advice: Fever is a body's protective response to an infection and hence, need not be feared. In fact, it need not be chased. If the child is comfortable, then we need not worry too much about the fever, provided there is no associated life-threatening symptom.

Saptharishi L G

Dr. Saptharishi L G
Senior Residency: DM,  Pediatric Critical Care, PGIMER

Residency: MD, Pediatrics, Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, 2013

Internship: JIPMER, 2009

Medical School: MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, 2008