Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Insomnia due to pain in the right ear

Resolved Question:

I have had some sort of virus for the past five days that has include nasal congestion, a sore throat, fever, cough and earache. I finally went to a clinic this morning and got put on two prescriptions addressing the cough and my nasal congestion. As of this morning, my ears were not bothering me and the nurse I saw said they looked fine. Later this afternoon, my right ear became very full and painful. I cannot hear out of it currently and trying the vasalva maneuver does nothing. Is there anything else I can try to relieve the pain and pressure? I am not getting any sleep because of how painful it is.

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 23 Doctors Online

Hello, With reference to your query regarding your right ear, which is giving you pain, full and cannot hear since yesterday. Earlier to this you seem to have had viral infection for the last 5 days so resulting in nasal congestion, sore throat, fever, cough and ear ache. They are all inter-related. In between you felt fine and this earache in your right ear started after that. Earache is very common in infants and children. They do occur in adults, but it is less common. Earache may be from the external ear or from the middle ear. Earache infections very often accompany a common cold, the flu, or other type of respiratory infections. This is because the middle ear is connected to the upper respiratory tract by a tiny channel known as the Eustachian tube. Germs that are growing in the nose or sinuses cavities can climb up the Eustachian tube and enter the middle ear to start growing. Sometimes it occurs in a family history of ear infections, tobacco smokers, with poor immune systems. In external ear, the symptoms may include ear redness, itchiness, pain when moving the head and fever, where as in middle ear infections, patient will have pain, fever, a feeling of fullness in the ear, hearing loss drainage, balance problems. These can be treated with antibiotics and for pain you can take painkillers. But before that I would suggest you to get your ear checked by the G.P or ENT surgeon before they assess you. Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news