Irregular Moles.

I had a mole for about 8 years that recently got swollen and then went back to it's normal size a few weeks later. I was a little concerned so I went to see a dermatologist a couple months later and they decided to take a shave biopsy because the mole had a reddish tone around it. They said the biopsy results would be back within 2-3 weeks. So my questions are 1. Is it possible for a normal non cancerous mole to behave that way (the mole is right on my waist line so I'm thinking my belt may have been irritating it?) and 2. Should I try to schedule another biopsy with a different dermatologist in an effort to get results back sooner? I've read that if it's a positive reading malanoma is a very time sensitive issue and a few weeks may make a big difference?

Category: Oncologist

Expert:  Dr. Prasad Eswaran replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I can understand your concern. In consult with the team Dermatologist, Dr Kruti B -

Moles are diagnosed as malignant based on the abcde criteria. One of the criteria is colour variegation I.e the reddish tone you are mentioning. However it is possible for a non cancerous mole to get irritated due to friction like it may be in your case. You can put neosporin and cortisone cream over it for five days and see if it helps.

Biopsy usually takes a couple of weeks, it is the method of diagnosis. Initiating a treatment in melanoma as soon as possible is important however, another doctor may also take as long to give the results, you can find out, and if the biopsy results are taking long you can request your doctor for a dermatoscopy where they see the lesion through an instrument and a melanoma can be detected.

Dr. Prasad Eswaran
Doctorate in Medicine (Fellowship in Oncology), DM,  Madras Medical College & Govt. General Hospital, Chennai, India.

Doctor of Medicine (Residency in Radiation Oncology) , MD, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamilnadu, India, 2004-06.

Diploma in Medical Radiology & Therapy (Residency in Radiation Oncology), D.M.R.T, Madras Medical College & Govt. General Hospital, Chennai, India, 2004-06.

Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery - M.B.B.S, Govt. Stanley Medical College & Hospital, Chennai, India, 1998-2004.