Itching, pain in outer corner of eye. What's wrong?

I am a 43 yo female. I have a pain at where the right eye eyelids meat (outer corner of the eye) that started last night. itchy and like needles in it. what is wrong?
What to do?

Category: Ophthalmologist

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 4 Days.

It could be due to allergies/ infective in nature.
If you have associated cough and cold it is secondary to allergies. So olopatadine eye drops 2-3 time daily will be helpful along with artificial tear drops like Refresh.
If you develop a small swelling and pain subsequently then you can start Ciplox eye drops to be given 3-4 times daily and apply Neomycin ointment on the swelling.
If it is due to an infection the swelling will develop in a day's time and there will be crusting. So observe for this symptoms.

Dear Doctor, Thank you so much for your detailed answer. Now after I used the eye drops the itching like needles is much better now. Howwever little pimpells started to appeare under the eye. Please see image of right eye. also when i put the drops i feel a little temporary burning sensation.

Thank you soooo much!

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 3 Days.

Sorry for the late reply ,
The fresh lesionsI see can be herpetic , you need to visit an eye centre , so that they can see and start the treatment, its important to show.

Thank you doctor. It seems a lot better now. I have used artificial tear drops and since Olopatadine is given by prescription only, my phamacist gave me Zaditor 3 times daily. the itching and pmples are much better, Do I have to continue on these eye drops untill the pimples are completely gone? Do yoou suggest other medications?
Thank you so much!!! YOU ARE GREAT!!!

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 2 Days.

Based on the severity it will take 5-7 days for complete disappearance of the allergies.
You can stop after that.

Dr. Manish Malhotra
Fellowship: L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
Fellow Pediatric Ophthalmology & Squint (L.V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad)
Medical School, Residency: MBBS, DOMS, FLVPEI, Nagpur university, 1995