Irritated throat and sore at tonsil site

Hello, I ve been having an irritated throat for couple of weeks, i suffer from allergies, a week ago a canker sore showed up where my tonsils used to be ( got the removed when i was a kid) , that went away but now the back of my throat is really irritated and scratchy, i can feel it in my ear, but it doesnt hurt its just there, i dont have any other symptoms, other than that

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your consult at DoctorSpring.com.

Your are having throat irritation for 2 weeks with ear discomfort, Your posterior pharyngeal wall is congested( seen in picture). Your tonsillectomy is done well.
So at present you are suffering from pharyngitis. Its not a serious condition it can be treated easily with medication. I would recommend the following in consult with your local physician -

Amoxicillin 500 mg three times daily for 5 days.
Tab.Levocetrizine 5 mg once daily for 5 days.
You can do gargle with warm saline or disprin
You can take analgesic including Paracetamol 1 gm as and when required if you have any throat pain.

Your present condition is not related to food allergy or airborne allergy.
Your ear irritation is related to throat infection only as both have same nerve supply. So it will improve with throat infection treatment.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

Dr. Sunil Jalan
MBBS, DLO,MS(ENT), DNB,DAA

I'm allergic to aspirin and pennicilin. I was taking azitromicin last week but the sore throat didnt go away, do you recommend any other antibiotic for this?

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 3 Days.

If you have taken antibiotics last week you can wait for a week or to see whether it resolves. There is a chance that the aetiology is viral. If there is no resolution you can consider Levofloxacillin 500mg once daily for 5 days in consult with your Doctor.

Meanwhile mild warm saline water gargle once a day can help. (Make sure it is not too hot.)

Dr. Sunil Jalan
DAA (Diploma in asthma and allergy) : Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2012
D.N.B (ENT), 2011
Residency - M.S. (Master post graduate degree in otorhinolaryngology),  Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2009
D.L.O. (Diploma in otorhinolaryngology) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007
Medical School - M.B.B.S, S.P. Medical college, Bikaner, 2004