Light vaginal discharge with cramps. Is this due to periods?

I had sex on April 13, 2013. I'm on the birth control pill. My blanks start on the April 21, 2013 and end on the April 27, 2013. I'm always two days late on my period and it always starts two days into my blanks and ends the last day of my blanks. I've never been early on my period. I've had occasional spotting in the middle of the month but never near my period. I started today on April 20, 2013, I had the worst cramping of my life along with a migraine. It wasn't a normal period either; it's oddly pinkish and very light. It grows a little heavier to a reddish, pinkish, brown mix, then stopped. I'm only 17, and I can't get a pregnancy test

Hello, I understand your worries. The light brown discharge that you have described could be due to a number of reasons. However in your case the light brown bleeding is due to your periods. Brownish color of the discharge is a mixture of blood and mucus. It usually occurs for about 1-2 days prior to the onset of the next menstrual cycle and generally lasts for 2 days. If it progresses more than 2 days, then it could indicate infection, inflammation, and hormonal imbalance. It is usually odorless, but if it has a foul odor, then it is suggestive of infections like chlamydia, herpes. The other causes that can result in bleeding are during miscarriage, ectopic gestation. There are two types of tests to determine pregnancy:

a) Urine tests: here since HCG is also seen in urine, a convenient method is known as Home pregnancy test can be done where the urine sample can detect the levels of HCG and confirm the pregnancy. However sometimes there is a small percentage of false negative where it is seen in three conditions:

a)You have tested 6-7 days after ovulation using a home kit. In such a case, the test appears negative, as there is not enough HCG in the urine.

b)Urine is diluted as the patient as had a lot of water, so the test appears negative.

c)Sensitivity of the test is low as seen in home kits.

The other available test is the blood test where HCG levels are measured in the blood and is more accurate than the urine test and can detect much earlier than the urine test I would suggest you to wait for a week for your periods and if it is still delayed then after 4- 6 weeks you can get a home pregnancy test to confirm the pregnancy else you could also consult your obg-gyn doctor. Thank you.