Mild concussion

Hello. My name is Jessica. Yesterday, I slipped, fell and hit the back of my head. I had a headache, felt dizzy and slow. I went to the ER, and they discharged me without a CT scan, saying it was probably a mild concussion.

Last night, I started running a low grade temperature (99.5). I still have the temperature this morning. Should I be concerned?

I have insurance; however, I haven't set up a primary physician and no one will give me advice over the phone. I don't have time to go in to see the doctor only to be told to take some tylenol.

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Hi Ms Jessica,

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com.

I have read your symptoms after the fall, and agree with the ER physicians that you have had mild head injury leading to mild concussion.

As of now, you can wait and watch and no CT scan of head is necessary.

The current fever is probably unrelated (most probably due to viral infection), and as you said, you can take symptomatic treatment with tylenol.

Please watch for the following warning signs, such as severe headache, vomiting, double vision, decreased alertness, weakness of arm or legs, fits, etc. If any of these occur, you should get a CT scan of brain done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995