Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

My husband is Hypertensive

Resolved Question:

hello sir my husband aged 35 yrs has been recently detected to be hypertensive with deranged triglyceride...his bp use to be 150/100.and his triglyceride is 717,,,,he was talking amlodipin 5mg and atorvastatin 20 mg but now he is on telmesartan +hydrochlorthiazide(40/12.5) and fenofibrate(160) ....he takes alcohol sometimes...sir plz kindly let me know if the current treatment is fine or should he start with something else..plz suggest..thank you Age:

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 28 Doctors Online


Thank you for asking your query. I am Dr.Deepu Sebin Sebastian and I will assist you with this query.

There are two parts in approaching your husbands problem :

1. Medication

From the information you provided he is now under medication. The important thing here is that the BP and Blood Cholesterol levels needs to be monitored periodically according to your Doctors advice. The target BP should be under 130/90 mm Hg. The cholesterol level has to come down (not just Triglycerides) in a couple of months. Telmisartan+HCT should control the BP (along with salt reduction). Fenofibrate should do for now. In case the Cholesterol level still stays high, he may need 1 more anti-cholesterol drug, This is not now, but at a later stage after repeat measurement of cholesterol levels

2. Lifestyle modification.

These are equally important and I hope you have got basic idea from your Doctor and other sources. I would stress few following facts :

1. Moderate aerobic exercises can work wonders for high TG levels (Jogging / Brisk walking for 1 hour and up, gradually)

2. Substitute at-least a portion of cooking oil with Olive oil (normal olive oil will do, extra virgin is not needed)

3. Avoid high calorie and foods with high fat content diets

4.Alcohol if in moderation is Ok. Make sure he is not taking more than 2 drinks/ occasionally.

5.Use salt in moderation.  Decreased salt consumption can really help in BP control.

Hope this helps

Please feel free to ask any followup question via mail itself.

Thank you

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news